Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Weepies - Say I am You

It's been a while since I've written a music review, largely because I've been too busy either having fun on vacation or working 14 hour days to listen to much music. But after getting out of the hospital early yesterday, I celebrated by going to Borders and picking this album up, on the recommendation of several friends over the past few months.

I must say I am impressed. These guys (guy and gal, rather) toured with the Indigo Girls last year, and it's easy to see why. Largely acoustic, with tight harmonies. The guitar work, notably on "The World Spins Madly On" is very Indigo Girls in style. However, my limited exposure to the Indigo Girls gives me the impression that they are a lot more sad than the Weepies. Here we're mostly hearing stories about love, requited and not, but even the sad songs aren't devastatingly so. The music makes you feel that, despite the hurt, there is light around the next bend. Contrast, for example, the Indigo Girls' "Closer to Fine" which despite the driving chords and thrilling harmony is shattering philosophically.

Though the Weepies may not be saying anything new, you have to love the way they say it. The chorus from "I've Gotta Have You" has been stuck in my head all day, even when listening to the rest of the album. "No amount of coffee/No amount of cryin'/No amount of whiskey/No amount of wine/Nothing else will do/I've gotta have you." The rest of the album continues in this vein, clever lyrics, pleasant harmonies. Song you feel along with.

Recommended.

5 comments:

The Angry Medic said...

You...you actually listen to music?!

You do something OTHER than medicine?!

Heh. Glad to read a non-medical post. Every medic needs time off. Good taste in music helps too :)

arcturus said...

Wow. Hm. Still can't believe you listen to the Indigo Girls. Last time I did I was writing a poetry review on "Closer to Fine." Scary.

Nathan said...

angry medic - off and on :) I still have the Chemical Brothers as an alarm, which I'm sure the people in the next door apartment love.

arcturus - I have eclectic tastes, and the Indigo Girls are very talented. Why wouldn't I listen to them?

arcturus said...

Just didn't think you'd be in to girl rock. :)

return home gnome said...

Ohmyword aren't the Weepies fabulous? So fabulous.