Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Blenders etc.

My dad had a job which often involved getting up at the crack of gloom, and over the years, he developed a breakfast routine which involved putting a few bananas, some ice cream, yogurt, wheat germ, protein powder, raw eggs, and milk into a blender and making a sort of breakfast smoothie. I thought it was revolting at the time, and I couldn't see how anyone choked down a blender full of the stuff.

Enter medical school.

Now I have the job involving getting up at various ungodly hours of morning (please, it's a phrase, no theological commentary) and I've found I'm skipping breakfast a lot. Buckwheat kasha takes some time to make, and it's not all that nourishing. Boiled or poached eggs, my other favorite? Forget it. When I get up, it's all I can do to stagger into the shower, and then pour from my automatic-timer-start-coffee-maker before I head out the door, usually about five minutes later than I feel I ought to be. Open flames and hot water? That's begging for trouble.

So, in the interests of getting a breakfast which has some calories and protein, I've bought a blender. It's a thing of beauty actually, shining there on my counter. And I've already tried it out. The texture is somewhat different, probably because, due to my medical training, I can't bring myself to add raw eggs to the mix. But it's not bad. Not bad at all...

I've noticed my culinary bent has been blunted by medical school. I don't do nearly as much cooking my own stuff anymore, and what I do is fast or minimally demanding: stir fry, with frozen vegetables (gasp!). Anything in my crock pot (possibly the greatest invention ever). I dream of breadmakers. Sometimes I fall even farther, and there's a Red Baron pizza and some waffles in my freezer right now. I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it.

Which is probably why I've discovered a taste for sardines. Fish are good for you, and on a whim about a year ago, I tried sardines for the first time. I can't believe what I've been missing. Granted, my friends won't sit next to me at lunch, and it's probably a good thing I don't eat in any of the exam rooms, but wow, it doesn't get much better than some boneless, skinless sardines with some soy sauce and crackers. Maybe I need to get out more. But I can't, my blender is calling...

7 comments:

Thainamu said...

Sardines reminds me of eating tinned mackerel. And 2nd grade tuna (think: cat food). And Flying Wheel brand tinned rabbit meat (with bones). And sweet potatoes. And taro. And more sweet potatoes. No wonder I was skinny then.

MrStandfast said...

2 words bro: Sardine Smoothie. It will change your life. Sardines, couple of raw eggs, soy sauce, crackers. Frappe, add to a squeeze tube http://www.rei.com/product/47591411.htm , and you're in business not just for breakfast but for lunch too.

I've tried this with smoked mussels, as well as those canned octopus parts from the oriental section. Awesome!

Nathan said...

That's called "cat food" and you can buy it for $0.89 at Food Lion.

And gross.

Zwerver said...

A grad school roommate of mine ate sardines regularly. I think that was when I learned that a sardines is not a particular kind of fish, just how it's prepared.

Re: the blender, I recently found a great smoothie recipe and decided it would be my new breakfast. But cleaning the blender is such a hassle! I mean it has like 15 parts. Okay, maybe 7. But still...

Nathan said...

Do share! And yeah, it is a hassle. I even tried being lazy, and just filling it up with hot water and a dash of soap and then going to high speed...but it doesn't really scrub it out. Darn.

Zwerver said...

This is the smoothie. It was really good but too much hasssle for me. I have wondered about getting one of those hand blenders though. I've always hated them, but they seem good for this as long as I thawed the strawberries first.

http://drink.allrecipes.com/az/StrwbrrytmlBrkfstSmthi.asp

eLr said...

"open flames and hot water?"
LOL! I so sympathize! I'm worthless before 6:30am!