Sunday, August 20, 2006

Study Break

Since I'm in the throes of study for the USMLE, Step 2, I'm not feeling especially creative. My brain is seething with little known but highly testable facts on diseases from Bruton's agammaglobulinemia to Wegener's granulomatosis. I'm sure there are A, X, Y, and Z diseases too, but don't press me. Frantic study and coffee overdosing make for a touchy med student. So instead of writing something deeply thoughtful, I'm going to put up a link I've been perusing as a study break just now. Donkey Boy, with whom I seldom completely agree but always find interesting, is asking today why should we be content with things which do not address the totality of our being? Indeed. And the context in which he addresses it, namely products which appeal to left or right brain characteristics, is somewhat applicable to medicine. I find in my studies, which are largely left brained, that I need the balance of right brained, artistic outlets to maintain sanity. Should the same be true of products?
I don't know. I do know I love my iPod, and that, after years of resisting, I made the switch to a Mac computer, and right brained, left brained, or whatever, I like the user-friendliness. It allows you to...

*here the med student looks at his watch and realizes a whole ten minutes have gone by*

...surf back to Kaplan's and answer more review questions, which is where I'm going now. One more week to go, I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

LSI said...

Well, since I don't believe in luck, then the phrase 'good luck' is rather meaningless. So. Good fortune or some other modified and slightly more Chinese fortune cookie term might be in order.

Or rather, in a more Calvinist sensibility, here's to your destiny being revealed (in a manner favorable to your desires) ... or something.

:)

good luck.